BEL Probationary Engineer(Computer Science) Written Test Questions:
BEL Technical Questions:
1. Data will remain intact even when the computer is turned off, if it is stored on ..............
C.secondary storage device
D.primary storage device
2. A(n) .............. converts and executes one statement at a time.
3. A .............. is equipment that might be added to a computer to enhance its functionality.
4. Approximately how many bytes make one megabyte?
5. Fax machines and imaging systems are examples of:
6. A compiler which runs on one machine and produces target code for another is called a:
7. The maximum length (in bytes) of an IP packet:
8. The degree of multiprogramming is controlled primarily by?
9. The microchip that controls a computer’s interface to its attached serialdevices is:
A.Virtual Device driver
B.Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter
C.Serial presence detect
10. Which was the first processor to be shipped with a 1 gigahertz clock speed?
11. A group of microchips designed to work as a unit to perform one or more related functions is called:
12. Who developed the concept of semaphores?
13. In laser printing, there are six steps the printer follows. What comes between the conditioning phase and the developing phase?
A. transfer phase
B. writing phase
C. fusing phase
D. cleaning phase
14. A process known as ____________ is used by large retailers to study trends
A. data mining
B. data selection
D. data conversion
15. ____________ is the science that attempts to produce machines that display the same type of intelligence that humans do.
A. Nano science
D. Artificial intelligence (AI)
16. Computers process data into information by working exclusively with
17. A string of eight 0s and 1s is called a
18. The components that process data are located in the
A. input devices
B. output devices.
C. system unit.
D. storage component.
19. Word processing, spreadsheet, and photo-editing are examples of:
A. application software.
B. system software
C. operating system software
D. platform software.
20. Apple Macintosh's (Macs) and PCs use different ____________ to process data and different operating systems
D. storage devices
BEL General Aptitude:
1. The sum of the first 47 terms of the series 1/4+1/5-1/6-1/4-1/5+1/6+1/4+1/5-1/6… is:
2. (√5+√3)/(√5-√3) is equal to :
3. The smallest value of m, for which 2m+1 is not a prime number, is:
4. How big will an angle of one and a half degree look through a glass that magnifies things three times?
A. 1 ½
B. 2 ½
D. 4 ½
Ans: A. 1 ½ degrees
Explanation : The magnifying glass cannot increase the magnitude of an angle.
5. 1, 6, 24, 60,120, 210
Ans: A. 336
6. A cylindrical container has a radius of eight inches with a height of three inches. Compute how many inches should be added to either the radius or height to give the same increase in volume?
Ans: B.16/3 inches
Explanation : Let x be the amount of increase. The volume will increase by the same amount if the radius increased or the height is increased.
So, the effect on increasing height is equal to the effect on increasing the radius.
i.e., (22/7)*8*8*(3+x) = (22/7)*(8+x)*(8+x)*3
Solving the quadratic equation we get the x = 0 or 16/3. The possible increase would be by 16/3 inches.
7. 12 men take 36 days to do a work while 12 women complete 3/4 th of the same work in 36 days.In how many days 10 men and 8 women together will complete the same work?
D. Data inadequate
8. If the average marks of three batches of 55, 60 and 45 students respectively is 50, 55, 60, then the average marks of all the students is:
D. None of these
9. A is the son of C; C and Q are sisters; Z is the mother of Q and P is the son of Z. Which of the following statements is true?
A. P and A are cousins
B. P is the maternal uncle of A
C. Q is the maternal grandfather of A
D. C and P are sisters
10. 39% of a number exceeds 19% of the same by 48. What is the number ?
11. The total number of digits used in numbering the pages of a book having 366 pages is
Explanation: Total number of digits= (No. of digits in 1- digit page nos. + No. of digits in 2-digit page nos. + No. of digits in 3- digit page nos.)
= (1 x 9 + 2 x 90 + 3 x 267) = (9 + 180 + 801) = 990
12. QAR, RAS, SAT, TAU, _____
Explanation: In this series, the third letter is repeated as the first letter of the next segment. The middle letter, A, remains static. The third letters are in alphabetical order, beginning with R.
13. ”School” is related to “Education” in the same way as “court” is related to
14. Nitin's age was equal to square of some number last year and the following year it would be cube of a number. If again Nitin's age has to be equal to the cube of some number, then for how long he will have to wait?
Explanation: Clearly, we have to first find two numbers whose difference is 2 and of which the smaller one is a perfect square and the bigger one a perfect cube.
Such numbers are 25 and 27.
Thus, Nitin is now 26 years old. Since the next perfect cube after 27 is 64,
so required time period = (64 - 26) years = 38 years.
15. A and B together can do a piece of work in 30 days. A having worked for 16 days, B finishes the remaining work alone in 44 days. In how many days shall B finish the whole work alone?
B. 40 days
C. 60 days
D. 70 days